Onam is a yearly occasion and celebration observed in Kerala, India. It is likewise a harvest celebration, and falls on the 22nd nakshatra Thiruvonam in the Malayalam calendar month of Chingam, which in Gregorian calendar covers with August–September. It symbolizes Mahabali’s return. Onam 2020 has begun on 22 August onwards and will be celebrated till 2 September.
Onam implies the yearly homecoming of King Mahabali from Paatal Lok, where Lord Vishnu’s Vamana incarnation sent him.
The demon King Mahabali was a devotee of Lord Vishnu, and a generous and kind-hearted emperor of Kerala. When Lord Vishnu took the incarnation of Vamana or dwarf, he went to Mahabali’s kingdom. He asked the king for three paces measured land. The king laughed in vanity for the size of the Vamana’s small feet and the area they would cover. However, Mahabali agreed to fulfil the wish of the dwarf.
The Vamana increased his size which was astonishing for the king. His first feet covered the sky, and the second feet covered the Earth, but there was no place for the third feet. King Mahabali realized that he was not an ordinary Vamana, therefore the king asked the Lord to keep his third feet on his head.
Thus, when Vamana kept his third feet on Mahabali’s head, he went buried into the world under the Earth. The devotion of King Mahabali impressed Lord Vishnu, so he graced him to return once in year to his kingdom and his people. Since then, this day is celebrated as Onam.
It is accepted that King Mahabali visits his realm to see his subjects upbeat and prosperous on the event of the favorable reap celebration.
Atham, Chitira, Chodhi, Vishakam, Anizham, Thriketa, Moolam, Pooradam, Utthradom lastly Thiruvonam together make Onam an intricate service.
Ladies take an interest in Pookolam (rangoli made of flowers) and perform Kaikottikali, a dance form. Wearing their best delicacies, ladies look radiant in a grayish Kasavu sari with brilliant fringe, collaborated with gold gems. The men look smart in white Veshti (dhoti) and shirt.
Individuals get together to take an interest in various social exercises to praise the celebration as one. Pulikali (people move in the camouflage of a tiger) and other dance and works of art explicit to Kerala.
Sadhya, a detailed feast with 26 food arrangements adds more enthusiasm to the celebrations of Onam. The number of food items may even go to 64 types. Sadhya is a meal served in a banana leaf which consits of different types of quisines.
However, this year this feast will also be celebrated as a muted affair. This year due to COVID-19 pandemic, people will not go out to the restaurants to have their Sadhyas. Notwithstanding, restaurants will carry on with providing takeaway meals for the customers. Police will be deployed to keep an eye on the maintenance of social distancing while shopping.
Famous Water-Festival In Onam
The most captivating thing about Onam celebration is the acclaimed boat race which happens in Kerala. It is known as Vallamkali or the snake boat race. It is done on the Pampa River in an amazing parade which incorporates the Aranmula Uthrattathi Boat Race and Nehru Trophy Boat Race. Various rowers row enormous snake-formed boats. People appear from far and close to watch and cheer the snake boat race through the water. One will be left excited in the wake of doing this!
- On the joyous occasion of Onam 2020, here’s extending my warm greetings to you and your family.
- May Lord Vamana bless you with good health, wealth, peace and happiness. A very blissful Onam to you.
- May, the bright colours and soothing fragrance of the Pookolam and lights of the Vilakku, fill your life with happiness and joy. Here’s wishing you and your family, a very Happy Onam.
- Here’s wishing you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous life on the auspicious occasion of Onam.
- May you be blessed with all that you have ever hoped for, in your personal and professional life—a very happy and blissful Onam to you and your loved ones.
- Its time for making Pookolam, lighting the Vilakku and relishing delicious Sadhya. Here’s wishing you and your family, a very happy and a prosperous Onam 2020!
- Onam festivities are all about happiness, peace, prosperity and oneness. Here’s wishing you a life that’s filled with joy and wealth aplenty.
- May king Mahabali shower you with his choicest blessing on the auspicious day of Onam.
- This Onam 2020, may you derive the strength and determination to achieve all your goals. May Lord Vamana shower you with his choicest blessings.
- May the sweet scent of the Pookolam flowers fill, and the twinkling lights of the Vilakku bring eternal happiness and joy to your life. A very blissful Onam to you!