Google is celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the World Wide Web by a dedicated graphic called Google Doodle.
Here are some interesting facts about the World Wide Web
The Man and Organization
- Sir Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web when he wanted to share scientific documents to the world. He was a physicist or a physics scientist at CERN. Do you know what CERN stands for? It’s Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire. It’s French, in English it’s European Organization for Nuclear Research.
World Wide Web and the Internet are different
- Did you know that? The Internet is a network of networks, while web is just a part of the Internet. The Internet is also used for email, what’s app, Facebook etc. while web has information such as text, pictures, animations, videos etc.
How many of us use WWW
- You are reading this article because of Sir Lee, but how many of use internet? Its whooping 4.3 billion or 4300 million or 430 crores 43000 lakhs(as per internetworldstats.com), however, there are 7.6 Billion of us in the world. So it means the internet has penetrated just a bit more than half of our population.
The first website to the total number of websites today
- Time travel is possible! You can still browse the first website of the world, the way it was back then. Visit the link below and go back in the 90s.
Probably there are more than 2 billion websites today. (1.8 Billion till Jan 2018 as per NetCraft survey)
A revolution like none
- World Wide Web, since its inception, has become the fastest growing medium of communication. Every other invention took way more time than world wide web(it only took 5 years to achieve 50 million users, television required 13).
WWW and Saint Isidore and 404 error
- Isidore was born around 560. He is considered as the first Christian author who compiled 448 Chapters in 20 Volumes (Remember no typewriters, keyboards back then). It is said that pope proposed him as the patron saint of the Internet and some say that error message “404 Not Found”honors death of saint which was on 4th April, 636. Others say it was 404 room number at CERN, while many call it a hoax and say it’s a code compiled to distinguish client side or server side error.
More devices are connected to the internet than humans
- As per Statista, there were 23.14 billion devices connected to the internet in 2018. Do you remember we are 7.6 billion?
The first image that was uploaded on WWW
- Les Horribles Cernettes(French) was the first image uploaded on WWW. It was the image of all-female parody dance group, founded by employees of CERN.
Search Engine and browser
- Worldwide web would not be as popular as it is, had there been no browsers and later search engines. The first web browser was designed by Sir Lee himself, lacked graphics. It was Marc Andreessen, Jamie Zawinski who invented Mosaic browser that is credited for making what WWW is today.
Archie is regarded as the first search engine that was essentially designed to index FTP archives. Google was launched in 1998
Other interesting facts
- First registered domain was http://symbolics.com. It is still active today and serves as a museum that is dedicated to the internet and world wide web.
- “Me at the zoo” was the first ever YouTube Video uploaded by Jawed Karim. The video is still present on YouTube and has more than 63 million views, 66 thousand dislikes, 1.7 million likes, and over 1.7 million comments.
- Amazon was originally called ‘ Cadabra’ and twitter was supposed to be called ‘Jitter’.