Ganesh Chaturthi, otherwise called Vinayak Chaturthi, is a Hindu celebration. It commends the appearance of Ganesh to earth from Mount Kailash with his mother Goddess Parvati. The celebration is set apart with the establishment of Ganesh mud idols in homes, or on pandals.
The 10 days festival this year is to be celebrated from 22nd August. It is believed that Lord Ganesha visits his devotees’ homes this day, stays for ten days, and blesses them while taking leave. The festival is widely celebrated in Maharashtra. People bring idols at home chanting “Ganpati Bappa Morya, Mangal Murti Morya“. During visarjan (immersion of idol) after 10 days on Anant Chaturdashi, they chant “Ganpati Bappa Morya, Pudchya Varshi Lavkar Ya“.
Muhurat or Puja Timings
- Chaturthi Tithi Begins – 11:02 PM on August 21
- Chaturthi Tithi Ends – 07:57 PM on August 22
- Ganesh Puja Timing – 11:06 AM – 01:42 PM on August 22
- Avoid Moon Sighting Time – 09:07 AM – 09:27 PM on August 22
- Ganesh Visarjan Timing – 09:19 AM – 02:03 PM on September 1
Celebration amid COVID-19
Ganesh Chaturthi will be commended for the current year with safety measures as dangerous COVID-19 pandemic has influenced the ordinary life. Social distancing, sanitizing, wearing masks and gloves is the standard guideline of the day.
To prevent the spread of the virus, Ganeshotsav coordinators in the state of Maharashtra have canceled enormous level celebration. The mandals like, Marathi Mitra Mandal, Sarvajanik Utsav Samiti, etc. have been permitted on the protocols of COVID-19 precautions. Therefore, there will be live online aarti organized for devotees at home. Ganpati can be sight on Zoom, Facebook and Google platforms this year.
Even the notable Lalbaugcha Raja will have a relaxed setting this year. The Lalbaughcha Raja statue, which attracts a huge crowd of viewers every year, will just stand 4-feet tall this year. The Lalbaugcha Raja Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Mandal will arrange a blood and plasma donation camp at the place to contribute their bit during such trying times.
Procedure of observing a Fast or Vrat
On the day of Vinayak Chaturthi, first of all the home is cleaned and decorated. The clay idol of Ganesha is installed at home and praan-pratishtha is done. Then offer Durva grass, red flowers, dhoop-deep, and Lord’s favorite sweet dish, Modak. Hence, chant the auspicious Ganesh mantra while offering.
Individuals observe a vrat or fast from morning to night. During this time they don’t eat anything. A few people additionally do partial fast in which they are permitted to eat Prasad offered at the puja and milk. After the night aarti, the fast is broke.
The devotees can settle on nirajala vrat (without water) or the phalahar vrat. They are permitted to have organic products, sabudana khichdi, kheer and a wide range of desserts. The supporters carefully exclude comsuming non-vegan food and liquor during these 10 days of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Celebrate eco-friendly Ganesh Chaturthi
However, after the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi and submersion of the idols; the seas, streams and lakes are frequently left messy and dirtied. This hurts all water animals and mother earth. Therefore, to celebrate eco-friendly festival:
- Do not use idols made of Plaster of Paris.
- Use organic paints instead of chemical colors and dyes.
- Don’t use thermocol and plastics for decorations.
- Use eco-friendly Ganesh idols made of clay that dissolve faster in water.
- Don’t throw flowers, garlands, fruits in the waterbodies.
- Limit the size and number of idols.
- Build artificial immersion tanks.
- May Lord Ganesha destroy all your worries, sorrows and tensions and fill your life with love and happiness. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- Wishing you happiness as big as Ganesh’s appetite life is long as his mouse and moments as sweet as his ladoos. Happy Vinayak Chaturthi!
- Destroy your sorrows; enhance your happiness; and create goodness all around you this Ganesh Chaturthi. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you and your family!
- May Lord Ganesha shower his auspicious blessing upon you and your loved ones. A very happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you and your family!
- A new sunrise, a new start. Oh Lord Ganesha, keep loving me in your heart! Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- May the Lord Vighna Vinayaka remove all obstacles from your path and shower you with blessings and bounties. Happy Vinayak Chaturthi!
- I heartily wish Lord Ganesha filled your home with prosperity and fortune. Happy Vinayak Chaturthi to you and your family!
- May Lord Ganesha keep enlightening your lives and bless you always. Wishing you a Happy Vinayak Chaturthi!
- Lord Ganesha epitomises wisdom, knowledge and learning. This Ganesh Chaturthi, I hope and pray that he showers you with his countless blessings.
- May Lord Ganesha shower you with success in all your endeavours. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi.