Nowruz or Navroz or Parsi New Year is celebrated every year. In India it is celebrated between 16-17th of August. It is one of the old festivals which is observed for the beginning of a year and is viewed as a day wherein new beneficial things start.
Nowruz is the day of the vernal equinox, and imprints the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. It denotes the primary day of the principal month (Farvardin) of the Iranian calendar. The second the Sun crosses the equator and equals the night and day is determined precisely every year, and families assemble to observe the customs.
While Nowruz has been commended since the change of the Iranian Calendar in the eleventh century CE to stamp the new year, the United Nations formally perceived the “International Day of Nowruz” with the selection of UN resolution 64/253 out of 2010.
Parsi New Year is praised similarly as Nowruz, with an attention on commending the restoration that another year brings, like, house keeping, wearing new garments, giving endowments and making magnanimous gifts.
In the Parsi culture, the number seven is a respected number as it means the seven essential powers of natural life. In this way, a ‘Half Seen’ table is set up which incorporates seven representative components, all beginning with the ‘S’ sound. These components are Sabzeh, Senjed, Samanu, Sir, Serkejh, Sib and Sumac. This is the most significant custom performed.
List of Parsis in India
- Pherozeshah Mehta
- Homi Jehangir Bhabha
- Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata
- Ratan Naval Tata
- Cyrus Pallonji Mistry
- Nusli Wadia
- Adi Godrej
- Cyrus Poonawalla
Greetings on Parsi New Year. India cherishes the outstanding contribution of the Parsi community, which has made a mark in a wide range of fields.
May the coming year bring peace and prosperity in everyone’s lives.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 16, 2020
- May luck, prosperity and happiness be showered on you this year and always. Happy New Year!
- As the New Year begins, Let us pray that it will be a year with peace & happiness, God bless you throughout the new year. Happy Navroz!
- May your life be an example for many, Wishing you a year filled with joy and happiness. Happy Nowruz 2020!
- May the glory of King spread all over, May Lord praise us in galore, Let’s pray for happiness and prosperity. May this Parsi New Year give us happiness. Lasting ever and ever! Happy New Year!
- I pray for your and your family’s happiness and well-being. May you all have an amazing year ahead. Happy Parsi New Year!
- Like birds, let us leave behind what we don’t need to carry. Grudges sadness pain fear & regrets. Life is beautiful, enjoy it. Happy Nowruz 2020!
- All things bright and beautiful, All things good & true, All things fine and wonderful, All these are wished for you on this day and always. Happy Navroz!
- Dedicate this year to humanity and the betterment of the world. Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous Parsi new year 2020!
- May this year greet you with fragrant days that are colourful as a rainbow, As bright as the sunshine, As happy and cheerful as a lark. Happy Navroz!
Read More – 74th Independence Day: Women Behind India’s Freedom