World Lefthanders Day 2020: International Lefthanders Day is a universal day celebrated every year on August 13 to commend the uniqueness and contrasts of the lefties. Dean R. Campbell, originator of the Lefthanders International, Inc. had first observed this day in 1976.
World Left-Handers Day praises the lefthanders, and brings issues to light about the points of interest and hindrances of being a lefty. There are roughly 708 million left-handed individuals in the world. Men are bound to more be left-handed as compared to ladies.
Thus, International Left Hander’s Day was made to commend sinistrality and bring issues to light of the points of interest and inconveniences of being left-handed in an overwhelmingly right-handed world.
Reasons for being a Lefty
Human study researchers claim that one of the reasons being left-handed can be genetic causes. It as someone is born with or the brain decide if somebody is left or right-handed.
On contrary, a recent investigation found that the appropriate reason of being left-handed could lie in the spinal cord.
Arm and hand movements start in the cerebrum, in a region called the motor cortex, which imparts a sign to the spinal string that is converted into a movement. The specialists found that while the baby is developing in the womb, up until around 15 weeks, the motor cortex and the spinal cord are not yet connected, yet right-or left-handedness has just been resolved.
Problems that Lefties face
- Less compatible with right-handed persons.
- Smudging everything with the ink while writing.
- Difficulty in handling can-openers, scissors, guitars, and cameras.
- Struggle in playing sports and learn doing everything reverse.
- Serving food from left hand is not appropriate in Indian society, but right hand would also mess up everything.
Interesting facts about Lefties
- About 10 percent of the people worldwide are left handers.
- Left handers use the right side of their brain more and thus, they are more inclined towards art and creativity.
- People being left-handed are more prone to have migraines.
- Left-handed people are known to be smarter than right-handed people.
- As per research, the connection between the left and right sides of the brain is better in lef handers.
- Left handers have better underwater vision than right handers.
- As per a study, lefties have more intelligence levels in comparison of righthanders.
Famous personalities who are Lefthanders
- Paul McCartney
- Marie Curie
- Henry Ford
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Amitabh Bachchan
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Barack Obama
- Bill Gates
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Prince William
- Angelina Jolie
- Lady Gaga
- Oprah Winfrey
- Hellen Keller