The United Nations Public Service Day 2020 is being praised on June 23. It perceives that democracy and government are based on the establishment of a skilled civil service. The day means to praise the worth and propriety of service to the community. Every year this day marks a tribute to the public servants worldwide.
On 20 December 2002, the General Assembly embraced resolution 57/277, assigning 23 June as Public Service Day.
UN Public Service Day commends the value and ideals of public support of the community. It features the commitment of public servants in the improvement procedure. Also, it urges youngsters to participate in the public sector.
To support acknowledgement of the day and the estimation of public help, the United Nations built up the UN Public Service Awards (UNPSA) program in 2003. Then it was explored in 2016 to line up with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Public Service Day is additionally celebrated in Africa to correspond with the United Nations Public Service Day.
Different public service associations and sectors around the globe commend this day. A few occasions are organized to perceive the job of public servants in making developments and upgrades in the community.
This day is for spreading awareness about the works of public servants. Hence, one can celebrate establishing stalls with awareness banners. Making ‘thank you’ posters for the public servants. Writing speeches on behalf of tributing them, and most importantly respecting them.
Role of Public Service amid COVID-19
The situation of the COVID-19 pandemic has influenced in more of 180 nations, affected millions and killed countless individuals. Notwithstanding the wellbeing suggestions and death toll, the pandemic has stressed human services frameworks.
It has disrupted the education framework, ruined organizations and economies, prompted job losses. Also, disturbed public activity with lockdowns, curfews and other severe measures set up all around.
From forefront healthcare authorities to teachers, sanitation workers, social welfare officials and others, have proved their basic importance. It is their job in regular day to day existence, and specifically during times of extreme emergencies, like the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, we need to respect and thank them for their service.
The United Nations Public Administration Network (UNPAN) utilizes an extraordinary logo for Public Service Day. It highlights two sections, one on the left side and one on the right. There are a couple of hands in the middle, orange outlined in a fire like way. These hands surround three blue human figures.
UNPAN’s primary logo, in blue and white, is like the logo on the UN flag. It includes a projection of olive branches enclose a world map fixated on the North Pole. The olive branches are a symbol of harmony, and the world map speaks to all the individuals of the world.
- If you are willing to contribute towards the betterment of your society then enrol yourself as a dedicated and honest public servant.
- A career in public services is unique in the sense that it allows you to make a positive impact in the lives of people.
- Public Service Day once again reminds us of the unmatched sacrifices of the public servants in making this society a better place to live in.
- A public servant gets the chance to improve the lives of marginalized people in society. They are the only hope of the oppressed.
- In public services, you come across new challenges each day. This helps in making your character strong.
- Try to be an inspirational character for people by leading a life full of sacrifices as a public servant.
- The development and well-being of a nation depend on the advancement of its public services. An efficient public service system is an asset for any nation.
- A career in public services is all about honour, prestige, integrity, and sacrifice.
- Whatever be the situation a public servant should always remain loyal to their tasks and the people whom they serve.
- Public Servants should find their happiness in serving other people.