World Day To Combat Desertification And Drought is celebrated on 17 June every year. It is a United Nations observance started to bring issues to light of desertification and drought. The day features strategies for stopping desertification and recouping from the dry season. Every year’s worldwide celebration has an interesting, novel emphasis that had not been grown beforehand. It focuses to reduce land degradation globally.
The United Nations General Assembly announced this day on resolution A/RES/49/115 on January 30, 1995. It was the day after when the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification was drafted.
In the world, 23 per cent of the land is not that gainful. 75 per cent has been changed from its natural state, for the most part for farming. This change in land use is occurring at a quicker rate than at some other time in mankind’s history. It has quickened the most over recent 50 years.
This year, it is running a campaign under the motto “Food. Feed. Fibre.” which tries to instruct people on the most proficient method to decrease their personal effect.
The day is held to make the open awareness about the issues of desertification, land debasement and drought, and how they can be handled. The day likewise means to teach people about community involvement and collaboration at all levels. It reinforces execution of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification.
How Much Desertification India Is Facing?
India faces a developing emergency of land degradation. Nearly 30% of its land in the territory of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra has been damaged through deforestation, over-cultivation, soil erosion and depletion of wetlands.
Approx. 25 per cent of India’s land is experiencing desertification. That is, more than 204 million sections of land, packed in the nation’s west. An estimate of 2018 says that land degradation alone costs India more than 2 per cent of its GDP.
Steps Taken By Indian Government To Combat Desertification
The Government of India joins different land and water plans to standard land degradation issues in national projects. Fighting desertification and land corruption is one of the forces distinguished by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC), Government of India, New Delhi.
The nation is resolved to battle desertification and land degradation and expects to accomplish land degradation impartial status till 2030. Shri Prakash Javedkar has said in a report that Government has launched various projects such as, Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana, Soil Health Card Scheme, Soil Health Management Scheme, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojna, Per Drop More Crop, etc. to reduce land degradation.
How To Protect Animal-Life During A Drought?
Drought is a climatic situation in which a particular area experiences a time period of abnormally low precipitation, prompting a lack of water and dry land. In this situation, the life that suffers the most is the animal life. Some of the animals migrate from that place to another in search of food and water, while some starve. To protect them from the disaster of drought one can:
- Provide containers of water in shady areas if access to water is possible.
- Keep the containers clean and keep changing water to avoid any disease.
- Water that is unused can be evaporated and turned into freshwater again. This process leads to no wastage of water.
- Store grains, vegetable or fruit wastes, leaves and grass for animals to eat.
- Grains can be provided in small containers for birds.
- Raw food materials if not wasted, can be a help in such a situation.
- Build nests, nest boxes for creatures like birds, bats, squirrels, and possums.
- If one has a farm or field, it can be a place to stay for other animals. Build shades over the field.
- Small piece of land could be fenced for domestic animals to stay.
- Join the fight, Conserve Land and Energy and secure our common future by preventing desertification and droughts. Best wishes on World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought.
- Don’t let our future dry up. Conserve water and save the planet from droughts. Wish you a very happy World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought.
- Remember on the occasion of World Day to combat desertification and drought that enhancing soil anywhere helps to enhance life everywhere.
- Our land, our home, our future. Save it and work towards securing our future. Wish you a happy World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2020!
- In a drought, remember to help out. Save water without a doubt. Best wishes on world day to combat desertification and drought.
- Without any water from the sky, it will feel very hot and it will feel very dry. Save water and save your future. Best wishes on this World Day to combat desertification and drought.
- It’s hard for the plants to sprout when you are in the middle of a drought. So, save the environment and nurture the nature to ensure sustainability.
- Let it rain and let it pour because, without any water, our lands will be sore. Preserve and protect on this World Day to combat desertification and drought 2020.
- Save the environment and prevent desertification and droughts because no rains mean a lot of pain. Best wishes on World Day to combat desertification and drought.
- Make a pledge to protect and conserve the value of the land on this occasion. Happy World Day to combat desertification and drought!