Indian Sports Day or National Sports Day is celebrated on 29th of August every year. This day is observed in the honour of great hockey player, Major Dhyan Chand.
Major Dhyan Chand was an lengendary Indian hockey player in the history of sports. The day is commemorated as his birth anniversary. National Sports Day was first observed in 2012.
States like Haryana, Punjab and Karnataka, among others, compose different games and courses. They are planned for spreading awareness about the significance of physical exercises and sports throughout everyday life.
Throughout the long term, the Government has likewise utilized this day as a stage to dispatch different games plans. It has included te ‘Khelo India’ movement, which Prime Minister Narendra Modi had declared in 2018.
Therefore, National Sports Day is likewise an event that marks the country honour its sportsmen with acknowledgments. Those like the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, Dhyan Chand Award and the Dronacharya Award.
Hence, at a unique ceremony held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the President of India takes this day to present these honours.
List of Award-Winning sportsperson of India
- Mr. Rohit Sharma (Cricket) – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- Ms. Rani Rampal (Hockey) – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- Mr. Naresh Kumar (Tennis) – Dronacharya Award
- Mr. Shiv Singh (Boxing) – Dronacharya Award
- Ms. Dutee Chand (Athletics) – Arjuna Award
- Mr. Atanu Das (Archery) – Arjuna Award
- Ms. Trupti Murgunde (Badminton) – Dhyan Chand Award
- Mr. Manpreet Singh (Kabbadi) – Dhyan Chand Award
- Ms. Anita Devi (Land Adventure) – Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award
- Mr. Satendra Singh (Water Adventure) – Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award
Due to Covid-19 pandemic, this year President Ram Nath Kovind will give National Sports and Adventure Awards practically on National Sports Day on August 29. Kiren Rijiju, Narendra Dhruv Batra—President of the Indian Olympic Association and different dignitaries will go to the function from Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- As far as one-day cricket is concerned, Dhoni is one of the greatest captains of all times—Sourav Ganguly
- I have always maintained that if you work hard, it won’t go waste, as recognition will come to you at some stage, whether in studies or sports. You need to have good intentions and intent to move ahead in life as well as in sports—Suresh Raina
- My philosophy is to not be scared of anyone. If I play well, great; if I don’t, I learn from the match and move on—Saina Nehwal
- The future is uncertain, and therefore I can’t predict it—Suresh Raina
- There are 2 types of captains in World Cricket. One is MS Dhoni and the other are the all others—Navjot Singh Sidhu
- If you don’t execute on your plans, then you don’t reach anywhere—Sachin Tendulkar
- It is important to understand that if you do fall, it’s important for you to get right back up again—Sachin Tendulkar
- Practice is a talent. Perseverance is a talent. Hard work is a talent—Abhinav Bindra
- I feel that schools and corporates should help the government in popularising sports in the country. Blaming the government for every sporting debacle will not be fair—Viswanathan Anand
- You can’t say what the outcome of a competition is going to be, so now I am ready to accept any result that comes my way, if I give my best shot—Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore