World Blood Donor Day is celebrated on 14 June every year. The World Health Organization (WHO) started this day in 2004. The day serves to bring issues to light of the requirement for safe blood items and blood donation, and to thank the donors for their intentional, life-giving blessings of blood. Read the article and send the happy world blood donor day wishes.
This day is celebrated on the birthday of Karl Landsteiner on June 14, 1868. He was a a scientist who won the Nobel Prize for his discovery of the ABO blood group system.
World Blood Donor Day carries a valuable chance to all donors to celebrate and recognize the birth-anniversary of Karl Landsteiner.
The WHO’s objective is for all nations to get all their blood supplies from deliberate unpaid givers by 2020. In 2014, 60 nations have their national blood supplies dependent on 99-100% intentional unpaid blood gifts, with 73 nations still to a great extent subject to family and paid donors.
On World Blood Donor Day every year, a host nation is picked to commend the National Blood Donation Day. Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the WHO will lead a worldwide virtual campaign this year. The thought is to concentrate on the commitment an individual donor can make to improve health for others in the community.
On this day, many blood donation camps are established in schools, colleges, and other public areas. The person who wish to donate blood can donate their blood on paid or unpaid basis. This blood goes to several blood banks, NGOs, hospitals, and dispensaries. It may save a life of a needful.
The theme of 2020 World Blood Donor Day is, ‘Safe Blood Saves Lives’ with the tagline ”Give blood and make the world a healthier place”.
The subjects is to spread the word among people, that a healthy blood donation can give a new life to someone in need. Therefore, on this ocassion, donate your safe blood to save a life.
Safety Measures To Be Taken While Donating Blood Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- The donors and staff are needed to wear masks while the process of blood donation.
- Washing and sanitizing hands for both the donor and staff worker is compulsory.
- The donor should be properly checked up on the basis of cough, cold, and fever.
- Blood Donation Camps and other equipments should be completely sanitized using disinfectant.
- Beds in the blood donation camp should be at a distance to maintain social distancing.
- Make sure that the donor and staff wears hand gloves and avoid touching the face.
Guidelines For Blood Donation Amid Lockdown
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has released the voluntary blood donations amid lockdown period with some important guidelines:
- Persons who have been exposed to the virus, or have come in contact with the people suspected of coronavirus, or have come from an affected country, cannot donate blood for 28 days from the time they recover completely.
- If, within 14 days of donating blood, the donor reports COVID-19 symptoms, or has been confirmed positive for the disease, their unutilised blood should be recalled and discarded.
- Blood donation sites should follow social distancing rules. Apart from that, infection control measures such as maintaining hand hygiene, cough etiquette, safe disposal of biomedical wastes, etc. must be followed.
- Blood donation activities can also include inroor blood donation, that is, taking blood from a donor in their house.
Criteria For Blood Donation
Donating blood is a humane activity, therefore it has some parameters that one needs to fulfil. To donate their blood, the donor must be:
- healthy with no disease
- above 17 years of age
- weighing minimum 50 kg
- with pulse rate between 50-100
- with normal body temperature
Benefits Of Donating Blood
- Reveals potential health problems.
- Regenerates new red blood cells.
- Reduces harmful iron stores.
- Re-energizes the body.
- Reduces the risk of cancer.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack.
- Keeps the liver healthy.
Wishes & Greetings
- The most precious resource of all: the ability to save a life by donating blood! Help share this invaluable gift with someone in need.
- Blood donation will cost you nothing but it will save a life. Happy World Blood Donor Day!
- A life may depend on a gesture from you, you can save many lives with a bottle of blood. Happy Blood Donor Day!
- The Blood donor of today may be the recipient of tomorrow. Happy Blood Donor Day!!
- Never lose the opportunity for blood donation as it always chooses someone special. Happy World Blood Donor Day.
- Opportunities knock the door sometimes, so don’t let them go. Donate blood to save a life.
- If you want to lend a hand, lend an arm and donate blood. Happy World Blood Donor Day.
- A drop of blood can save a life! Don’t waste it, donate. Happy World Blood Donor Day!
- Never feel yourself weak, you can save a life. Just donate blood. Happy Blood Donor Day!
- The blood you donate gives someone another chance at life. So, give the gift of life and donate your blood.