Here are some more mind-blowing facts about India that will definitely make you say OMG!
- Shakuntala Devi was given the title of ‘Human Calculator’ after she demonstrated within just 28 seconds the accurate calculation (multiplication) of two random 13 digit numbers: 7,686,369,774,870 × 2,465,099,745,779!
- Freddie Mercury, the legendary singer of the rock band ‘Queen’ was born a Parsi with the name Farrokh Bulsara and Ben Kingsley, star of the Oscar-winning Hollywood movie, Gandhi, was born Krishna Pandit Bhanji! They are both of Indian descent.
- India is considered to be the second most populous country in the world, with a population of 1,324,171,354 in 2017! This figure is constantly growing!
- More than a million Indians are considered millionaires, yet most Indians live on less than two dollars (rupees 150) a day. An estimated 35% of India’s 1 billion population lives below the poverty line.
- According to the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956, it is illegal for a child to neglect his/her parents and needs to provide for their maintenance until their demise.
- India has no single national language. The Union of India has Hindi (Devanagari script) and English as official languages and every state legislature has their regional language as the official language.
- One family from Jaipur in Rajasthan boasts of having 31 doctors as their relatives! The family consists of 7 physicians, 5 gynecologists, 3 ophthalmologists, 3 ENT specialists and many orthopedic, urologist, psychiatrists, pathologists and neurologists!
- Shani Shingnapur village is situated in Nevasa taluka of Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra. None of the establishments here have any doors or locks on precious belongings! Surprisingly, it has not reported any theft of any kind till date!
- Mumbai Police had filed a weird case against terrorist Ajmal Kasab (who brutally murdered 50 persons in the terrorist attack of 26/11) for entering CST Railway Station of Mumbai without a ticket!
- Some police officers in Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh are given slightly higher pay (approx. 30 rupees) as an extra incentive for having a mustache!
In India, there is a vigilante group called the “Love Commandos” that offers protection from physical and mental harassment to couples from different castes who have fallen in love.
- India is home to the world’s biggest family! A man named Ziona Chana has 39 wives, 94 children, 14-daughters-in-law and 33 grandchildren who all live together in a 100-room mansion situated at the Baktwang village in the Indian state of Mizoram.
- India has one of the world’s highest rates of abortion where either due to unsanitary conditions or female feticide, approximately 7 million women are forced to abort their pregnancy!
- The Tirupati Balaji temple in Tirumala, Andhra Pradesh, and the Kashi Vishwanath Temple in Lahori Tola of Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, both receive more devotees each year than the Vatican City and Mecca combined.
- Diamonds were first mined in India! Until diamonds were found in Brazil during the 18th century, they were only found in the alluvial deposits in Guntur and Krishna District of the Krishna River Delta.
- The game of chess originated in India and was called ‘Chaturanga’ which means ‘four members of an army’ and most likely refers to horses, foot soldiers, elephants, and chariots!
- India has more population than the entire Western Hemisphere! The Tarai belt of India is the most densely populated region.
- All of India comes under a single time zone. IST or Indian Standard Time is calculated on the basis of 82.5′ E longitude, in Mirzapur, Uttar Pradesh which lies exactly on the corresponding longitude reference line.
- Various sciences and calculation principles like trigonometry, algebra, calculus, the decimal system and the concept of zero as a number all originated in India as early as c. 100 BC!
- The Men’s and Women’s Indian National Kabaddi team have won all the Kabaddi World Cups held until now!
- Lonar Lake is a saline-soda lake located in the Buldhana district of Maharashtra which was created by a meteor impact during the Pleistocene Epoch! It is considered as the only hyper-velocity impact crater in basaltic rock found anywhere on Earth.
- Mumbai with an estimated population of 18.4 million people is the largest city in India! To connect all islands of erstwhile Bombay into a single landmass, the British engineers built a massive causeway in 1661 to unite all the islands into one!
- Magnetic Hill is a gravity-induced hill located near Leh in Ladakh, India. The hill has such high magnetic power that its incline pulls cars uphill and forces passing aircraft to increase their altitude in order to escape magnetic interference to the aircraft’s mechanism!
- Snakes and Ladders originated in India and was known as ‘Moksha Patamu’. It was originally used to teach children about moral lessons against greed and excessive ambition. It was later commercialized to eventually become one of the most popular board games in the world!
Sushruta, the greatest physician of ancient India is widely credited with being the inventor of modern plastic surgery. He conducted various complicated surgeries like rhinoplasty, cesareans, cataract removal, artificial limb restoration, fixing fractures and even conducted brain surgery